Sunday, 19 October 2008

Laser Hair Removal Update

I've been having laser hair removal reduction on my stomach, lower back and legs over several months (not continually, by the way, in case you think I'm sitting here with a beauty therapist zapping by gorilla back). I'm really pleased with the results so far but I've recently swapped to a different clinic.

The clinic I was going to charged a bank balance chomping £395 for just one treatment on full legs; being the bargain hunter I am I got a buy-one-get-one-half-price offer for the two treatments I had there. The problem was they used an Nd:Yag machine that only zapped one hair at a time; it took three hours to do my legs, and don't think that must be because my legs appear in the Guiness Book of Records due to their abnormal size. Nope, that's the average time it takes for a perfectly normal pair of pins.

A month or so ago, I happened to be passing the Skin and Laser Clinic in Canterbury and decided to pop in for their prices. They charge £400 for full leg treatment, but with a doctor. It's a mere £250 for the therapist. I booked up for a test patch and was surprised and slightly horrified that the therapist didn't freeze my skin before hand; she explained that doing this reduced the effectiveness of the laser as it relies on heat to destroy the root. Gulp. She quickly added it might be different for the Nd:Yag, but I don't see why. I winced during the treatment; partly due to the pain and partly because I wondered if I had wasted hundreds of pounds on treatments that were nullified by a frozen bag of vegetables?

I think so, yes. My full legs were treated in Canterbury three weeks ago and there is fairly insignificant regrowth at the moment. There are a few dead hairs that I'm still waiting to fall out. My treatments at the other clinic (which I'm so glad I've not named!!) resulted in faster regrowth than this. Hmm. I don't really know if this is because the Alexandrite is a superior laser or if Nd:Yag's efforts were hampered by the frozen peas. A quick on the net suggests that Alexandrite is more effective than the Nd:Yag. click here for a conclusion that summarises various comparisons I've read on the web.


For now I'm sticking with the Alexandrite; cheaper, quicker, most definitely painful, but the most important thing is it's effective.

1 comment:

Satria Sudeki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.